The screening will be free. A freewill offering will be taken to support further promotion of the film. Grace Church is an easy walk from the Grove Street PATH station.
Winner of a special jury prize at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, Love Free or Die is "compelling storytelling, even for those familiar with the outlines of Robinson’s story: his 2003 consecration as a bishop, the backlash from conservatives within the U.S. and global church, and the Episcopal Church’s decision at its 2009 general convention to continue to ordain gay bishops and to develop blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples," as reviewed by Peter Montgomery in Religion Dispatch.
Others in the church - both for and against Bishop Robinson's ordination - are interviewed, including the Right Rev. Otis Charles, who came out and married his partner after retiring as bishop of Utah; the Right Rev. Barbara Harris, the first female bishop in the Anglican Communion; and a Ugandan woman living with HIV.
Footage from some of the major public events in Bishop Robinson's episcopacy are featured, including a dramatic confrontation with a heckler while preaching in England.
PLEASE HELP US spread the word about this event by sharing this flyer. Facebook users please RSVP and invite your friends here.
Reviews of Love Free or Die:
- First Gay Bishop? Give Me a Break - Religion Dispatches
- Doers of the Word: Bishop Gene Robinson in Love Free or Die - HRC
- New film chronicles gay Episcopal bishop - Bay Area Reporter
- WHAT: Screening of Love Free or Die
- WHEN: Fri. Apr. 13 @ 7 p.m.
- WHERE: Grace Church Van Vorst, 39 Erie Street, Jersey City, NJ
(Transit: PATH to Grove Street)
- COST: Free (contributions welcome)